This is a common dish that can be found in just about every country in Northern Europe. There are numerous recipes for meatballs and this is just one of them. The following recipe also includes some of the more traditional flavours!
300 g ground round (or other prime cuts of) beef or elk
1 dl boiled potatoes, mashed
1 dl shredded fresh carrots
1/2 dl water
2 tea spoons juniper berries, crushed
1 tea spoon salt
1 dl bread crumbs
A touch of your favourite seasoning (e.g. Provence herbs)
- Crush the juniper berries and boil in 1/2 dl of warer.
- Place breadcrumbs into a bowl and pour the juniper mixture on top.
- Grate the carrots and add to the mixture. Mix well with a spoon.
- Add salt, mashed potatoes, egg and minced meat. Mix well.
- Roll even meatballs out of the mixture and place them on a baking tray.
- Bake the meatballs in 180 C for 10-15 minutes depending on the size of the meatballs.